5 Best Dog GPS Trackers 2023 – Approved By Vets & Pet Owners!
As a devoted dog owner, you know the joy of sharing life’s adventures with your four-legged companion. But what happens when your gets a bit too adventurous? Enter GPS dog trackers, your best friend’s best friend. These smart collars offer real-time tracking, activity monitoring, and even health alerts, ensuring your pup’s safety and your peace of mind. In this article, we will discuss the 5 best collar and pet tracker solution on the market. So if you are looking to track your dogs crazy, wild barking furry butt, this is the dog tracking guide that will answer all your questions.
Tractive GPS Dog Tracker: #1 Amazon Seller For Tracking Cats And Dogs
- Subscription Required: Plans start at $5/month, with a 30-day risk-free guarantee.
- Real-Time Tracking: Follow your dog’s steps live on your phone, and review location history.
- Virtual Fence: Set safe zones and get notified when your dog leaves or returns.
- Activity Monitoring: Tracks active time, rest, and calories burned to help meet fitness goals.
- Compact & Waterproof: Small, lightweight, and ready for any adventure, even swimming.
- Global Tracking: Works in the USA, Canada, and 175+ other countries via the free Tractive GPS app.
FitBark 2 – Best Dog Activity Monitor
As light as it is durable, the FitBark weighs just 16 grams, making it suitable for dogs of all sizes. From Chihuahuas to Leonbergers, this pet tracker fits comfortably on collars up to 1.5″ wide. Additionally, the FitBark is fully waterproof, ready for any adventure your furry friend might embark on.
- Monitor Your Pup’s Activities: Track sleep, distance, and calorie balance 24/7. Set breed, age, and weight-specific goals. Compatible with iOS 12+ or Android 6+.
- Long-lasting Battery Life: Enjoy up to six months of battery life. Lightweight at 10g, it fits most 1.5” wide collars.
- Health Monitoring: Detect early signs of discomfort or disease. Monitor mobility, anxiety, and skin conditions. Invite your vet to review FitBark data.
- Integration with Fitness Apps: Sync with Fitbit, Apple Watch, HealthKit, or Google Fit. Compare your stats with your dog’s. Build healthy habits together.
- Scientifically Trusted: Over 100 vet schools and research institutions trust FitBark. Join users from 140+ countries advocating for better dog parenting
Whistle Switch: Best For Health And Location Tracking
- GPS Smart Location Tracking: With the ability to set up alerts, locating your pet, whether they’re nearby or 3,000 miles away, has never been easier. Using the AT&T nationwide network and Google maps, this tracker and collar combo offers 15-second location updates, ensuring your pet’s safety.
- Comprehensive Health, Nutrition, & Activity Tracking: This smart tag monitors activity levels, calories burned, and distance traveled, along with behaviors like licking and scratching. This valuable information can help detect potential health issues. Recommendations on food portions, based on activity levels, breed, age, and weight, are also provided.
- Extended Battery Life & Night Light: With up to 20 days of battery life on a single charge, this tracker ensures constant monitoring. The built-in night light, with three adjustable settings, ensures visibility in the dark.
- Vet Chat Feature: With the Whistle subscription, you gain access to on-demand veterinary help via chat, phone, or email. Powered by the VETINSIGHT team, expert advice and guidance are available from the comfort of your home.
Apple AirTag: Best BlueTooth Pet GPS Tracker
Apple’s AirTag is a solid choice if you are looking for a smart tracker for your dog, cat or other pet. Simply pop your AirTag into a collar-friendly AirTag holder and BOOM – you now have a reliable dog tracker! While it doesn’t offer real-time tracking, it leverages Apple’s expansive ‘Find My’ network to help locate your pooch. This makes it a better choice over other Bluetooth tracking devices such as the Tile Pro.
Apple AirTags are also excellent for urban environments with many Apple devices around. Lost your dog? Not to worry. With Lost Mode enabled, your AirTag taps into the network of nearly a billion Apple devices. When any of these devices come close to your lost pet, you’ll receive a notification with the AirTag’s location. This vast, crowdsourced network can be invaluable for tracking your pets in busy urban areas.
- Design: Compact and lightweight, easy to attach to a GPS tracking collar with an AirTag holder.
- Precision Finding: Uses Ultra-Wideband technology to guide you to your dog’s location when nearby, if you’re using an iPhone 11 or later.
- Proximity Alerts: Notifies you if your dog strays too far from your Apple device.
- Lost Mode: If your dog gets lost, you can put the AirTag in Lost Mode. When another Apple device comes close, it will alert the user and provide your contact information.
- Long-Lasting Battery: The Apple AirTag comes with a replaceable battery that lasts over a year, so you can keep tracking your pet long-term.
- Privacy and Security: Your location data and history are never stored on the AirTag, ensuring your information stays private.
- Water and Dust Resistant: The AirTag has an IP67 rating, which means it can resist water and dust to a certain degree, perfect for outdoor adventures with your pup.
- Network Support: Utilizes the vast network of nearly a billion Apple devices to help locate your lost dog.
What Is A Dog GPS Tracking Collar – An Explanation For Pet Owners
A dog GPS tracking collar is a device that lets you monitor your pet’s location in real time. Imagine you’re at work, and your playful pooch decides to wander off. This high-tech collar sends precise location data to your smartphone or computer, providing peace of mind. The technology uses global positioning systems (GPS) to track your dog’s movements, so even if Spike loves to explore, you’ll always know where he is. With varying features like safe zone settings and movement alerts, these collars offer additional layers of security.
Related Article: Best Kids GPS Tracker For Parents
Key Features Dog Owners Should Consider Before Buying A Pet GPS Tracker
Choosing a dog GPS tracker can feel overwhelming. But, focusing on key features can make the task less daunting. Here are some essential aspects that dog owners should consider:
- Real-Time Tracking: The truth is, you want a GPS dog tracker that provides live tracking. Why? because this is a critical feature allows you to see your pet’s location in real-time, easing your worries if your dog roams.
- Safe Zones: A GPS tracker with a ‘safe zone‘ feature allows you to set boundaries for your pet. If your dog crosses these boundaries, the tracker sends an escape alert, allowing you to intervene promptly.
- Water Resistance: Dogs love to splash and play. A water-resistant or waterproof GPS tracker won’t fail during your pet’s aquatic adventures.
- Replaceable Battery: A tracker with a replaceable battery ensures longevity. Look for trackers with long battery life, like the Fi series, to minimize battery changes.
- Subscription Fee: Some personal GPS locators, like the Petfon pet GPS tracker, require a monthly fee. Our advice, simply ask about any ongoing costs before you purchase any GPS dog collars..
- LED Light: A GPS collar with an LED light can enhance visibility, particularly for those late-night walks.
- Activity Tracker: A tracker that doubles as an activity monitor, like the Fi smart dog collar, can track your dog’s health and activity levels.
- Compatibility with Cats and Dogs: If you have a mixed pet household, a tracker that works with both cats and dogs, like the Tractive GPS pet tracker, is a smart choice.
- Durability: Given dogs’ active nature, a durable collar and pet tracker, like the Link AKC, can withstand the rough and tumble of doggy life.
Remember, the best tracker for your dog depends on your specific needs and your dog’s lifestyle. For example, do you take your dog hunting? May your dog is older and gets lost easily? If so, consider each feature carefully, and find the perfect locator GPS tracker for you and your furry friend!
Protect Your Pet – What The Experts Say
Dr. Sophia Yin’s Advice on Dog Collars and Pet ID Tags
Operating out of Davis, California, renowned animal behaviorist Dr. Sophia Yin firmly believes in the significance of dog collars and pet ID tags. She advises, “Attach an ID tag to your pet’s collar. It’s their primary safety net. If they’re lost, it offers immediate identification to those who find them.
Dr. Liz Bales’ Advice on Behavioral Training
In Philadelphia, Dr. Liz Bales, a certified cat behaviorist and founder of Doc & Phoebe’s Cat Co., recommends behavioral training for pets. She says, “Training isn’t just for dogs. Cats can also be trained to respond to calls and commands, increasing their safety especially in outdoor environments.
Dr. Gary Richter’s Tips on Nutrition and Exercise
Based in Oakland, California, Dr. Gary Richter, a renowned veterinarian and author of “The Ultimate Pet Health Guide”, stresses the importance of balanced nutrition and regular exercise for pets. In a 2023 interview with Pet Health Network, he said, “A well-balanced diet and regular exercise contribute significantly to your pet’s overall health and longevity. It’s essential for their physical well-being and mental stimulation.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use An Apple AirTag As A Pet GPS Tracker?
Yes, you can! An Apple AirTag, when placed in an AirTag holder, can be attached to dog collars, effectively turning it into a pets tracker. However, while it can help locate your pet, it doesn’t offer real-time tracking. But, with an Apple device, it can be a more cost-effective alternative to costly dog tracking collars.
Can GPS Collars Be Used On Cats And Dogs Alike?
Yes, they can! Many GPS pet trackers are versatile enough for both cats and dogs. The key is to ensure the collar attached is the correct size for your pet. From the petite AirTag dog collar to the more robust Fi collars, there’s a GPS tracker for every type of dog and cat.
Do All Dog GPS Trackers Require A Subscription Fee?
No, not all of them. Some dog trackers, like the Findster Duo, offer GPS tracking services without a monthly subscription. However, others, such as the Whistle Switch or Tractive GPS Dog, require a subscription for full access to all their smart features.
Can A Dog GPS Tracker Help Monitor My Pet’s Health?
Definitely! Many GPS collars for dogs now come with health monitoring features. The Link AKC and Fi Smart Dog Collars, for instance, track your pet’s activity levels, sleep patterns, and can even provide early warnings for potential health issues. It’s like having a fitness tracker for your pet!
What’s The Range Of A Dog GPS Tracker?
GPS tracking systems, like the Tractive GPS Pet Tracker, typically have an unlimited range, as they rely on satellite signals. Bluetooth trackers, on the other hand, like the Tile Mate, have a limited range. Remember, the effectiveness of tracking your pets depends on the GPS signal strength in your area.
Is There A Risk Of My Dog GPS Tracker Getting Wet?
No worries there! Many dog GPS trackers are water-resistant. Brands like Tractive GPS Dog and Whistle Go Explore offer waterproof trackers. So, whether your furry friend loves to swim or simply got caught in the rain, these devices can handle it.
Have questions about pet cameras, cat tracker systems, or any of the GPS tracker for dogs mentioned in this article? If so, feel free to contact one of the security experts at Tracking System Direct!
- 5 Best Dog GPS Trackers 2023 – Approved By Vets & Pet Owners!
- Tractive GPS Dog Tracker: #1 Amazon Seller For Tracking Cats And Dogs
- FitBark 2 – Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Whistle Switch: Best For Health And Location Tracking
- Apple AirTag: Best BlueTooth Pet GPS Tracker
- What Is A Dog GPS Tracking Collar – An Explanation For Pet Owners
- Key Features Dog Owners Should Consider Before Buying A Pet GPS Tracker
- Protect Your Pet – What The Experts Say