Securing Your Cargo: The Power Of GPS Tracking In Preventing Cargo Theft
Ever wonder how to protect your valuable cargo shipments from theft? You’re not alone. According to the FBI, nearly $30 billion in cargo is stolen each year in the US alone. That’s a staggering figure, isn’t it?! What if you could take a proactive stance against this prevalent issue? Here’s your solution: GPS tracking for shipping containers.
This emerging technology is transforming the shipping industry by providing real-time, detailed information about each shipment. In this article, you’ll discover the profound benefits of GPS tracking, from thwarting theft to enhancing operational efficiency. By the end, you’ll understand why GPS tracking is the ultimate shield for your cargo shipments.
Our Top Pick For GPS Tracking Device For Shipping Containers
The Oyster tracking device updates its location every five minutes when in motion, and once a day when stationary. For faster updates, Recovery Mode is at your service.
Stay informed with instant alerts sent directly to your phone via text or email whenever your cargo begins to move. Set up geofences and be alerted about low battery statuses too. Plus, it provides coverage in the US, Canada, and Mexico on both 4G and 5G Cat-M1 Towers.
This mini GPS tracker comes encased in a rugged, waterproof shell. And with an IP67 rating, it ensures continuous tracking of your shipping containers even under harsh conditions
How Bad Is Cargo Theft – A Look Into The Stats
Navigating the world of cargo shipping involves understanding the risks associated with cargo theft. These quick facts shine a light on the extent of this problem, revealing what is most commonly stolen, where thefts tend to occur, and just how significant these losses can be. Get informed and stay ahead with these crucial statistics:
- According to the FBI, the average value of goods stolen per cargo theft incident in the U.S. is approximately $150,000.
- Food and beverages are the most targeted goods, accounting for nearly 20% of all cargo thefts.
- Electronics make up the second most stolen goods, constituting around 15% of total cargo thefts.
- The states most targeted for cargo theft are California, Texas, and Florida, which together account for over 60% of all reported incidents in the U.S.
- Warehouses and truck stops are the most common places for cargo theft, with around 50% of thefts occurring at these locations.
- Approximately $15-30 billion is lost annually in the U.S due to cargo theft, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau.
- Less than 20% of stolen cargo is ever recovered, making prevention crucial in cargo management.
- Thefts tend to spike around holidays, with notable increases around Thanksgiving and the 4th of July.
- Global losses from cargo theft reached a staggering $22 billion in 2021, according to BSI’s annual Global Supply Chain Intelligence report.
GPS Tracking Device For Shipments
Imagine how simple it becomes to monitor shipping containers and prevent cargo theft with GPS tracking devices. Picture this – you run a shipping business, and you want to keep a close eye on your containers. You attach a real-time GPS tracker to each container you wish to monitor.
This tracking system consistently beams back the container’s location data. You can access this real-time GPS tracking data online, anytime you want. It’s as if you’re in constant communication with your cargo containers.
Every time one of your GPS-equipped containers moves, you receive a notification. Imagine the peace of mind this brings. Asset theft? That’s a concern of the past.
Think about the precision and efficiency GPS tracking units add to your operations. You’re able to calculate estimated delivery dates with a new level of accuracy.
But let’s face it. Some criminals see cargo theft as a low-risk, high-reward endeavor. When a single container can contain a million-dollar payout in electronics or tobacco, the temptation for black market crooks is hard to ignore. Here are additional benefits of how real-time GPS tracking technology can be your solution for theft prevention and asset management:
- Enhanced Asset Management: GPS asset trackers provide real-time location information for both powered and unpowered assets. This visibility enhances your ability to monitor specific containers and manage your fleet effectively.
- Advanced Features: Incorporating technologies such as a Bluetooth gateway, temperature sensors, and IoT systems, these tracking devices offer more than just basic functions. They bring smart container capabilities, improving shipment tracking and ensuring the safety of the cargo.
- User-Friendly Interface: With developer API and API integration, you can easily incorporate GPS tracking into your current operations. The tracking dashboard and container tracking software provide a user-friendly interface for quick access to data.
- Adaptable to Increased Demand: As your business grows, these GPS container tracking solutions scale with your needs. They support additional features like trailer tracking, vehicle tracking, and chassis tracking to meet the increased demand in your operations
Learn more about trackers that work internationally!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do GPS Container Tracking Systems Work Anywhere In The World?
Yes, most GPS container tracking systems utilize a cellular network to transmit location data, ensuring global coverage. In some cases, the container GPS can record location data, but can’t transmit it until the ship is in cellular coverage. However, it’s essential to confirm that your specific tracking solution offers both global coverage and satellite tracking.
Can GPS Tracking Devices Help Reduce Costs In The Shipping Industry?
Absolutely! GPS tracking devices for shipping containers contribute to operational efficiency, enabling route optimization and better utilization of resources. This helps reduce costs associated with fuel consumption, insurance premiums, and asset recovery.
Are There Any IoT Sensors Available For Shipping Container Tracking?
Yes, IoT sensors are increasingly popular in the shipping industry. These sensors, such as temperature and humidity sensors, provide real-time environmental monitoring. And why is this important? Because it can help with ensuring cargo security and allowing for better decision-making to protect sensitive goods!
How Can GPS Tracking Shipping Containers Improve Customer Experience?
With asset tracking systems, customers receive accurate information about the location and status of their shipments. This transparency allows them to make better-informed decisions and provides an enhanced customer experience with your service.
Can Container Tracking Technologies Offer More Than Just Location Tracking?
Definitely! Advanced container tracking technologies can provide valuable insights, such as dwell times and ETA predictions. In fact, this GPS data helps improve scheduling and overall efficiency in the shipping process!
Matthew is a freelance writer who is passionate about technology, music, photography, and decentralized finance.
- Securing Your Cargo: The Power Of GPS Tracking In Preventing Cargo Theft
- Our Top Pick For GPS Tracking Device For Shipping Containers
- How Bad Is Cargo Theft – A Look Into The Stats
- GPS Tracking Device For Shipments
- Do GPS Container Tracking Systems Work Anywhere In The World?
- Can GPS Tracking Devices Help Reduce Costs In The Shipping Industry?
- Are There Any IoT Sensors Available For Shipping Container Tracking?
- How Can GPS Tracking Shipping Containers Improve Customer Experience?
- Can Container Tracking Technologies Offer More Than Just Location Tracking?