Best Real Time GPS Trackers For Cars – Buyer’s Guide For 2023
Have you ever wondered what your teen was really doing when they were driving? Maybe you own a small business and are concerned employees could be misusing company service vehicles. Whether you are looking into improving driver safety or simply want to bust a cheating spouse, GPS vehicle tracking can help find out what is going on! However, with so many different options on the market, finding the best mini GPS tracker can be a challenge. In this article, we will list the best portable GPS trackers that can provide the realtime location of your vehicles, what makes each vehicle GPS tracker unique, and address some frequently asked questions regarding car tracking. Let’s dive in!
1. SpaceHawk – Best Overall Real Time GPS Car Tracker
- Discover The Truth Instantly
- Mini GPS With Magnet Mount (100% Waterproof)
- Voted “Easiest GPS Tracker To Use” – GPS Tracking Review 2023
An award-winning vehicle tracking device with some of the best online reviews of any real time GPS car tracker, SpaceHawk GPS is the perfect device for both consumers and businesses who want to find out where a vehicle is going. What makes this device stand above other real time GPS tracking devices is that it is portable, waterproof, easily hidden, and can track a vehicle as fast as every 3 seconds! Simply place this hidden GPS tracker inside or underneath a car then see it everywhere it goes from your iPhone, Android, or computer. There is no better tool on the market to catch a cheating spouse, determine if a company driver is misusing mobile assets, or find out if a teen is driving safely. The best part about SpaceHawk GPS is it is backed with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty and free technical support (24/7).
DISCOVER THE TRUTH TODAY!
Bottom Line: SpaceHawk is the best realtime GPS tracking device for anyone who wants to be their own private investigator and secretly track a vehicle (without them knowing).
2. Plug & Play GPS – Best OBDii Port GPS Device
- No Monthly Fees For First Year
- Track Vehicle’s Location Every 3 Seconds
- Simple OBDii Port Connection – No Installation Required
Designed to connect directly to the OBD2 port of any vehicle, the Connect GPS is perfect for large or small businesses that want to improve fleet management, and families worried a senior motorist might be at risk. This real time GPS tracker connects right to the OBD2 port to provide a variety of data related to vehicle diagnostics, speed, and more. What makes this tracker stand above other OBD2 devices such as the Vyncs GPS tracker and MotoSafety GPS is that Plug & Play GPS updates your vehicle’s location every 3 seconds, and has no monthly subscription fees! Oh, and if you are worried about a driver tampering with this live GPS tracker, please know that an alert can be sent out if the device is removed from the OBD2 port!
Bottom Line: This product is great if you need a realtime tracking device with no monthly fees for your business or to monitor loved ones.
3. Everlast Nano – Best Vehicle GPS Tracker With Long Battery
- 4G Live GPS Car Tracker With 6 Months Battery Life
- Powerful Waterproof Magnetic Case Included
- Lifetime Warranty
If you are looking for a magnetic GPS with long battery life then look no further than the Everlast Nano. Routinely used by law enforcement and government agencies, this portable car tracker can record roughly 138 hours of wheels-in-motion driving time, which is 4x more battery life than any other portable live GPS tracker on this list! The intuitive web-based interface is amazingly easy-to-use and service plans are month-to-month with Everlast Nano. This magnetic GPS tracker also comes with a free waterproof case that features a powerful surface magnet so those who want to hide this tracker outside of a vehicle can easily do so!
Bottom Line: This realtime GPS is what you want if you need a GPS device with long battery life.
4. Vyncs GPS- Most Reviewed OBD2 Port Tracker On Amazon
- Subscription Required – Basic Plan Only $99 For Full Year
- Monitor Unsafe Driving Of Teens
- Roadside Assistance Included With Vehicle Tracker
Vyncs GPS is one of the most reviewed GPS trackers for vehicles on Amazon. So for that reason alone, we have to put this OBD2 tracker on our list of the best for 2023. This vehicle tracking device has many of the same features as the Plug & Play Sync GPS mentioned earlier with one additional thing we really love: roadside assistance. This is a really great feature for parents who are looking for a teen GPS tracker to make sure that their son or daughter is driving safely. However, the default refresh rate with Vyncs GPS is set for 3-minute updates (you would need to pay for a more expensive monthly subscription plan for something faster), and even more frustrating is the online interface. The simplest way to describe the online interface would be that is not very user-friendly, especially compared to the intuitive Connect GPS.
Bottom Line: Vyncs GPS tracker is one of the most reviewed security systems on Amazon, making it a solid choice if you want a GPS vehicle tracker with roadside assistance.
5. Performance – Best GPS With Starter Disable
- Driving Alerts: Geofencing + Speed
- Activate Killswitch On Your Vehicle Via Mobile App
- Best For Auto Theft Security
What makes Performance GPS unique compared to the other real time GPS trackers on this best-of list for 2021 is that it offers the ability to unlock vehicle doors if a driver accidentally locks their keys in a work truck, and disables the starter. The online interface of Performance GPS is really easy to use and monthly data plans are very affordable at $14.95 a month. Please note, this mini GPS tracker should be professionally installed in the 12-volt system of a vehicle. Therefore, it is designed more for business fleet tracking applications.
Bottom Line: This GPS is great for tow truck companies since the GPS device can record when a tow boom is active!
6. Secure GPS – Best Dash Cam With Realtime Tracking
- View Fleet Vehicles Over Google Maps
- Security Cameras Use AI To Record Driver Performance
- Alarm Systems Record Drivers Eating, Sleeping, & Talking On Phone
If you really want to know what a driver is doing in your personal or company vehicles then look no further than this real time car GPS tracker with included camera. Not only does this product allow you to track where a driver is located 24/7, but the dual dash cam also provides a live video feed! There really is no other GPS vehicle tracking solution on the market like this and that is why we give it one of our highest ratings on this best-of-2023 list. However, with kick-ass technology comes a higher price tag. The biggest negative with this tracker isn’t the price (a fair value at $399.00), but the monthly subscription costs of $34.95. Hopefully, as data becomes more cost-effective, the monthly subscription will drop for this live GPS tracking camera. When that happens, this product will definitely move to the very top of our list of best real time GPS tracker solutions!
Bottom Line: This product is the ultimate GPS fleet tracking solution, but a subscription is required to access tracker location and live video feed.
7. Optimus 2.0: Best For Personal GPS Tracking
- Get Peace Of Mind With Panic SOS Button Feature
- Real Time Tracking For Cars Or People
- Get Location Updates On Senior Loved Ones
A mini 4G LTE device, Optimus 2.0 can be used as a vehicle tracking device or personal GPS tracker. Hide Optimus 2.0 car GPS inside the glovebox or under a seat to secretly track a car using Google Earth, or simply keep the device in your pocket to record your travels. The best part is this mini real time GPS tracking device even comes equipped with a panic SOS button that can send out an alert if you need emergency assistance. However, the short battery life and lack of a waterproof design are disadvantages of Optimus 2.0 when compared to other GPS trackers for vehicles such as LandAirSea 54, Trak4, and SpaceHawk
Bottom Line: Optimus 2.0 is one of the top-selling portable trackers on Amazon, but the device lacks some of the features of other real time GPS trackers on this list.
There are a lot of awesome live GPS tracking devices we tested, but did not make this lsit. Although the GPS systems had some great features, for a variety of reasons, these devices did not make our list of the best real time GPS tracker solutions for 2023. Here are some products we recommend you do further research on:
- Linxup GPS Car Tracking Device
- LandAirSea GPS 54
- Brickhouse Security Spark Nano 7 Personal 4G GPS Tracker
- SpyTec Mini Portable Locator Tracking System
- Amcrest 4G LTE GPS Tracker
- Tile Mate GPS
- Livewire Volt
Real Time GPS Tracker Reviews – How We Evaluate Products
When reviewing locations trackers our experts focused on the following 5 metrics:
- How easy the device was to use
- Cost of the GPS vehicle tracker
- Availability of technical support
- Design elements, product features
- Online reviews from verified customers (online were accessed via Amazon)
Every live GPS tracker was tested in real-world conditions from activation to tracking a vehicle via online software.
Tracking System Direct and its security experts received no compensation for the above product reviews for the best real time tracking equipment.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Real Time GPS Tracking Device?
SpaceHawk is the best overall waterproof magnetic car GPS tracker that can provide realtime location updates. The car GPS is $89.00, and a $19.95 subscription is required.
Do Real Time GPS Trackers Need SIM Cards?
Real-time GPS trackers require SIM cards to work because they use cellular networks to transmit location data. The SIM card helps location trackers connect to a cellular network, allowing the GPS device to send and receive location data. Without a SIM card, a car GPS tracker would not be able to transmit live location data and therefore would not function as a real-time GPS tracker.
How Does Real Time Tracking Help Reduce Fuel Costs?
Here are the 5 ways GPS trackers for cars can help your business reduce fuel consumption:
- Route Optimization: Give your company drivers the most efficient routes to their destinations, which can help to reduce fuel consumption by minimizing the distance driven.
- Speed Monitoring: Real-time GPS systems can monitor the speed of your company’s vehicle, which can help reduce fuel consumption by encouraging drivers to drive at a steady and fuel-efficient speed.
- Vehicle Idling Reduction: OBDii port GPS trackers for cars monitor vehicle idling which encourages drivers to turn off their engines when they are not moving.
- Vehicle Tracking: Fleet managers can monitor a vehicle’s locations, routes, and fuel consumption, which can help to identify and address inefficiencies in their fleet operations, leading to better fuel economy.
- Driver Behavior: Portable trackers can monitor driver behavior, such as harsh braking, accelerating, and idling, providing feedback and training to the drivers to improve their driving style, which in turn leads to better fuel economy.
How Does GPS Help With Home Automation?
GPS tracking can be integrated with home automations systems such as Amazon Alexa or Google Play, and smart home devices to provide various benefits such as automatic lighting and temperature control, security and surveillance, smart appliances control, and remote control. GPS can also be used for Geo-fencing to set up virtual boundaries around a property, triggering specific actions such as turning on lights and starting security cameras. This can be very helpful for home or business security.
- Best Real Time GPS Trackers For Cars – Buyer’s Guide For 2023
- 1. SpaceHawk – Best Overall Real Time GPS Car Tracker
- 2. Plug & Play GPS – Best OBDii Port GPS Device
- 3. Everlast Nano – Best Vehicle GPS Tracker With Long Battery
- 4. Vyncs GPS- Most Reviewed OBD2 Port Tracker On Amazon
- 5. Performance – Best GPS With Starter Disable
- 6. Secure GPS – Best Dash Cam With Realtime Tracking
- 7. Optimus 2.0: Best For Personal GPS Tracking